Pages

June 8, 2013

Quinoa "Fried Rice" Recipe

Quinoa has a lot of great health benefits, but I had tried a few different recipes and wasn't a fan of anything I tried.  I mentioned this to my mother-in-law and she said she had used quinoa instead of rice to make a quinoa fried rice.

I bowed my head in shame. because I'm half Asian. And I should have thought of that.
or even at least half thought of that.

So on a whim one week night (and by whim I mean I didn't go grocery shopping or have any meals planned), I tried making up my own version of this quinoa fried rice and I loved it! The first time I made it I used half rice and half quinoa because as I mentioned, Clint and I were not big fans of the quinoa recipes I had tried in the past. I would definitely recommend that if you're hesitant about quinoa. I've made it multiple times since then without the rice and both ways are great.
(PS You pronounce it "Keen-Wah" if you're unfamiliar. Who even makes up words like that?)

I posted a picture of my the quinoa fried rice last month on instagram and got questions about the recipe, so today I finally actually measured it out (eh, sorta) so I have a recipe to share:

This recipe will make about 2-3 regular bowl sized servings:

2/3 cup of quinoa
1/2 TBSP sesame oil (olive oil will work too, but sesame adds great flavor)
1 cup of diced yellow onion (you can use white or purple as well)
3 cloves (or about 1 heaping TBSP) minced garlic
1.5 cups of other diced mixed veggies (I've used traditional fried rice type of veggies like carrots and broccoli, but today I also added diced red and orange bell peppers and mushrooms. If you're using frozen vegetables, make sure they're thawed out first.)
3 egg white, and 1 whole egg (don't use less, the eggs are the yummiest part!)
~2 TBSP sodium free soy sauce (plus or minus depending on your taste)
Optional: cooked chicken or diced ham

Start by cooking your 2/3 cups of quinoa (Double the amount of water than quinoa. Bring to a boil, then simmer with the lid on for about 15 minutes).

While that is cooking, add the sesame oil to a pan and allow it to heat up. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and remaining vegetables (if you are using vegetables that take longer to cook such as bell peppers, just add them in with the onion). Once all vegetables are cooked, move them to the side of the pan and add eggs. Once the eggs begin cooking, mix them in with the vegetables.

Once your quinoa is done cooking, add it in the pan with your veggies. If you are using any sort of meat (I have used both chicken and ham) put it in now as well. Add in the soy sauce and stir all together.

And there it is.

3 comments:

  1. I have been OBSESSED with this stuff. I can't wait to try this and even add some nuoc mam with it too!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, making this tonight.:) I've been thinking about this recipe since you posted it. Thank you, Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent close-up, looks very delicious

    ReplyDelete