Pages

February 16, 2013

PB2 Review & Healthy Chocolate Banana Ice Cream

I had seen a few recipes for ice cream using a frozen banana on Pinterest so I decided to try it out. I like to call myself an expert when it comes to two things: peanut butter and bananas. I am truly obsessed with these two foods- both separate and together. 

Peanut Butter. Basically my Achilles Heel. I'm a total sucker for it, but unfortunately there is a lot of fat and added sugars in peanut butter. If you're eating a good, natural peanut butter (no hydrogenated oils), I don't think there is anything wrong with the little bit of fat, but with how much I crave it (and give into the craving for that matter), I thought that I had better either slow down or find an alternative.

I had heard about PB2 which is a powdered peanut butter that you can mix with water to get a creamy consistency, but when I read reviews online people talked about how you might as well eat real peanut butter because it has more protein which is what a lot of fitness people apparently eat it for. Clearly, their excessive exercising has ruined their taste buds because I eat peanut butter because it tastes like the Nectar of the Gods. but to each their own. 

So I bought the PB2 despite what I read and the first thing I was surprised by was the nutrition facts. Here's a comparison:

Peanut Butter (Jif Natural Creamy): 2 Tbsp.
Calories: 190
Fat: 16 g. (3 g. Saturated fat)
Sugars: 3 g.
Protein: 7 g.

PB2: 2 Tbsp.
Calories: 45
Fat: 1.5 g. (0 g. Saturated fat)
Sugars: 1 g.
Protein: 5 g.

To me, the major cut in fat, sugar, and calories is worth missing out on 2 grams of protein. Another argument I read was that you don't get the healthy fats with PB2, but there are plenty of other sources for that.

My mom told me that seeing as I wasn't an astronaut, I didn't need to eat powdered peanut butter but I promise it is delicious. [Plus how does she know I'm not an astronaut?] My original plan was just to use it in my protein shakes for the flavor, but I actually don't have a problem at all mixing it with water and using it like you would any regular peanut butter (on sandwiches, apples, bananas, etc.). I ordered mine on amazon, but I'm pretty sure you can get it from Whole Foods. There is also a chocolate PB2 which my friend told me is amazing. 

Anyway... on to the recipe

 Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream:

1/4 to 1/2 C. Almond Milk (I use original Almond Breeze. Start out with 1/4 C. and add more if needed)
2 Tbsp. PB2 (or peanut butter)
1 Frozen Banana
1-2 Tbsp of Cocoa (depending on your taste preference)
*Optional: 1/2 tsp. of Cinnamon

Blend all together and add whatever toppings you like. (I have unsweetened coconut and slivered almonds on mine.)

Enjoy!
xo.


2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I have chosen your blog Hello, Sunshine. as 1 of 9 blogs to award the Liebster Award to - It's an award given to well-deserving up and coming blogs with less than 200 followers to help them gain recognition within the blogging world. Check out my post at

    http://yummmmyy.blogspot.ie/2013/02/the-liebster-award.html

    to learn more about what your post about the Liebster Award should contain and to see the other blogs that were nominated. Congratulations again & do follow back :) Happy blogging!!! Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This peanut butter banana ice cream is delicious! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete